Smart Cyber Security Tips For Maryland Residents in Annapolis, Catonsville & Edgewater Working From Home
Are you working from home? Many of our Maryland and Virginia insurance clients have found themselves working from home recently due to the Pandemic. Computers, tablets, and smart phones have made this all possible, but it has also made confidential and personal information more vulnerable.
If You Use the Internet Your Personal Information Could Be Vulnerable
At the office your employer probably keeps abreast on the latest in network security. Maybe there’s even a separate IT person on staff.
But now, with so many people working from their home devices, cyber security is something everyone using the internet should monitor.
With a few preventative actions, you can protect your security.
Actions You Can Take
Here are a some actions you can take:
1) Choose a strong and unique password for your Wi-Fi router. Make it complicated and difficult to guess.
2) Make use of a WI-Fi monitoring app or program. A number of free aps can help you spot intruders including:
- NetX – Network Discovery Tools.
- Who Is On My Wifi.
- Network Scanner.
3) Change your Router Password IF you suspect your network has been penetrated. Yes, you’ll have to update the credentials on all your connected devices, but this will provide extra security.
4) Use stand along Malware protection programs.
5) Keep up on software updates. Take advantage of security upgrades.
6) A change in speed, may indicate you have an intruder. Pay attention to the speed of your network.
7) A pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure. Run security software on all your connected devices, including smartphones and tablets, to make certain you are continuously protected.
While businesses are the frequent targets, with so many individuals working from home, there is a growing threat of ransomware and other attacks. Keep you home network locked down and keep the hackers and criminals out.
At Crilly Insurance, an independent Agency with offices in Annapolis, Catonsville, and Edgewater we want to help our clients protect their families, businesses, and property. Whether you need boat insurance, farm insurance, or flood insurance—we’ll help you find the policy and coverage that’s right for you. Visit us at https://crillyinsurance.com or give us a call at 410-571-1771.